Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Somebody Stole My Liahona

Why is there no rewind button on life? I cannot even begin to list the number of times I've wished I could go back and say or do something differently. I'm not an overflowing bucket of regret, but sometimes I think we should be allowed a do-over here or there.

There are so many roads you could wind up on, and just based on the seemingly tiniest of decisions, the entire course of life is altered for good. Ever seen the movie Sliding Doors? I love it and hate it because it illustrates that idea so well. I'm not one that buys into "the one" or the "meant to be" stuff. Of course there are exceptions where God has other plans, but we're not beholden to some predetermined destiny thing.  Over all I think there are many different lives we could lead and be happy. Maybe to different degrees, but happy. Different people you could end up with. Different challenges you could face. Different experiences that change you for better or worse. All because of  choices we make.

Of course, there are some of those choices that lead to regret. And others that may have been bad choices, but ultimately got you where you needed to be, some that were initially good, but didn't take you where you'd hoped in the end, and then choices that led you somewhere better than you imagined.

I guess what bothers me, is that so often we aren't making informed decisions. Sometimes we're permitted to go with our best guess. Sometimes our best guess is, well, crappy. It's then that we should get to go back, revisit and rethink, and take some other road that takes us somewhere better. Something akin to stopping and asking a local for directions. We're not commanded in all things, which I'm grateful for, but does that mean that some decision made in haste or under stress or without all the facts or with rose-coloured glasses on should be allowed to skew the entire path of our lives?

That is why I'm grateful for the idea of gratitude. No matter where we are or how we got there, if there is something, anything that we're grateful for, we will be okay. Then that path is a good one. It may be better or worse than we thought, it may have different scenery than we'd hoped for, but I suppose as long as it's heading in the right general direction, we're doing alright.

Now, where the heck am I? Didn't I already pass that tree?

2 comments:

bananaberry128 said...

lol!
what an ironic thing to post. deep. scary. i thaught i only had this problem.
a viscouse cycle....
i lost your address, could you email it to me when or if you get a minute.

luv ya

chelon:) said...

i love it. deep thoughts :) i have to say that when steve and i first got married we had made some not so great decisions that i truly believe are the reason that we are where we are today. so i think that even though some decisions are bad ones and the consequences can be tough...they just make us stronger better people. thanks wen. i love you tons!