Saturday, May 26, 2012

Somebody Bring Me My Crown.

I was kissing Marley goodnight as she laid in her bed, on her fuzzy pink pillow, wearing one of her many princess dresses over her pajamas, piled up with soft pink and white blankets, and regaling me with a tale of the pirates that would surely be coming to get her because pirates always get princesses and tie them up, and then the princesses yell "Help! Help!", while the pirates just say "Aye, aye, Captain!", and the Captains always say "Arrrrrr..." and I figured I should be in the story. So I said, "Well it sounds like I'm going to have to kick some pirates' butts." She said, "Yeah. You do." But then she thought about it and said, "But you're a queen."


Huh, I thought, I don't FEEL like a queen. And with a day's worth of cleaning and diaper changing on me, I certainly don't look like one. Queens don't go nearly a year without sleeping even a solid 6 hour stretch. Queens don't make lame last minute dinners like grilled PB & banana sandwiches- they don't even have to make dinner. Queens don't have to closely calculate every cent before heading out the door to buy a few groceries. Oh and by the way, if I'm a queen, why does no one listen to me? Aren't I supposed to have loyal subjects?


In the split second that all those thoughts were running through my head, Marley covered her mouth and giggled, and said again, "You're a queen, Mama."


Okay.


I'm a queen.

4 comments:

Almost bedtime said...

Marley sounds like a total sweetheart! What a lovely thing to say, Queen Wendy! (PS Glad to see you back in the land of the bloggers. I was missing you!)

CBG said...

Ha! It's a relief that someone missed me. I've been so exhausted, and overwhelmed... And I believe I have a few of your posts to catch up with as well. :-) As for Marley, I just adore that girl.

Kristen said...

I suppose princesses also don't do all the things that Marley does, but you wouldn't want to change her one bit. Yup, Marley knows what she's talking about.

Olsens R Us said...

I got a little teary eyed on this one, Wendy. I've been feeling like something quite less than royalty lately....maybe I need to head upstairs and play "princesses" with my little girls for a while to remember my royal status. Thanks for the reminder, Marley. And thanks for taking the time to write it Wendy, it's always great to hear from you. :)