Friday, February 27, 2009

My name is Wendy, and I'm An Addict

     A few friends and some family are aware of my addiction.  Some have helped feed it in the past.  I've gotten other people addicted.  I'm not proud of it, but there it is.  Every winter, as Easter very slowly approaches, out come the Cadbury Mini Eggs, the dark purple packaging easy to spot from aisles away.  Every year, I might as well hook up an I.V.  I don't have a problem with over eating in general, in fact, several friends are mildly freaked out by how healthfully we try to eat at our house, but the problem with mini eggs is they come out once a year, for maybe a month or two, and then they disappear.  This creates a sort of desperation in  addicts like myself, because you know they will sell out weeks before Easter, and if you miss the boat, that's it for a year.  Plus it's Cadbury chocolate, which is pretty much the only chocolate in North America worth eating (my apologies to Hershey's fans, but I cannot stomach the stuff).
 
     This year is different.  I just had a baby, and I'm still pretty much house bound.  Knowing the mini eggs are out there, and not having easy access to them is enough to bring on anxiety, shaking, and a little bit of panic.  And then today, my friend Sharon dropped by, mini eggs in hand, and suddenly the world seemed a little brighter.  I've gotten maybe 4 hours of sleep in the last 48, so I'm thinking a little sugar and caffeine is not an entirely bad idea.  I may actually survive the next 48 hours now.  This same friend was informed the other day that some lady had come in to Albertsons, and bought out all the mini eggs they had.  I had to stop for a minute and make sure it wasn't me.  But alas, I had no mini eggs.  Some other poor soul out there is as addicted as I am.

     I may miss out this year- no stocking up for Easter, no stashing for the dark days ahead when they disappear again.  It may throw off my whole year, I can't say for sure.  As for the rest of you mobile, rested folk, grab a bag of Cadbury Mini Eggs and think of me.  And of course, I'll be accepting any left overs.

3 comments:

chelon:) said...

hear hear!! except for now they have them at christmas! they are round red, white and green balls. you and i are two peas in a pod when it comes to those eggs! oh how i miss when one of us would supply the other when in desperate need! we addicts must stick together! i love you girl!!!!

JaNae said...

blah I am not a fan but my sister Nic is and everytime I see them i grab a bag for her & a box of the original for me (they are my secret addiction) So now I know one other person to buy for. Be expecting some more very soon.

Kat said...

Hi, my name is Kat, and I am a Mini Egg addict too. I can't deny that lucious Cadbury chocolate as it melts dreamily in your mouth. Yes, it is the only chocolate worth eating. I have found that if you are very careful, you can store these lovely delicious morsels in the back of your freezer and your kids usually can't find them. You can pull them out in the middle of the summer and enjoy their goodness. Just a tip from one addict to another. :)