Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I Don't Get It: Baths

This is the first of what I'm sure will become a series of posts about things I just don't get.

I don't get baths.  Relaxing, soothing, blah, blah, blah.  They're not any of those things. Explain to me why, any reasonable grown person, why would you want to sit in a tub of your own funk? There you sit, marinating in a hot steaming tub of all the grime most people are aiming to clean off when they take a shower.  Well what about swimming pools, you ask?  That's why pool water is treated.  And it's not hot water.  And it is still just a little bit gross. 
 
Soaking in hot water is fine for a pinto bean, but I'm fairly certain people aren't meant to.  You come out sweaty (yes you are, you just can't tell because you're wet), more wrinkled than when you got in, and you still need a shower.  

My kids take baths because you can't make 'em stand in the shower when they can't even stand yet, and they love to play in the water.  But at my house they do not get rinsed with the water they've just been sitting in, nor is the water overly hot.  

Adults tend to take hot baths.  Hot water removes gunk.  That's why you wash dishes in it, that's why you sterilize things in it.  You would not wash your hands with that dish water after the dishes were done and call it good.  A hot bath is really the only way that something from your armpit can come in contact with the space between your toes.  Oh and that's just one example. Don't even get me started on all the places your toe jam could end up migrating in that lovely jetted tub.  Dim lights and a 2-foot layer of sweet-smelling bubbles floating on top does not change the fact that you're sitting in what is, in effect, body backwash.  

Maybe I'm missing the boat on one of life's great joys, I don't know.  You can keep your hot tubs and bathtubs.  De-funkification will be shower-centered at my house.

6 comments:

On Our List said...

What you say is true, but I always get in the nice relaxing bath AFTER I shower. There is nothing better than a hot shower and then climbing into a tub. Oh the smell of Mango Mandarin bubble bath, Harry on the CD player, family asleep, and me relaxing in my own funk. Perfect end to a crazy day. :)

chelon:) said...

i too love taking baths! i will read in a tub for hours. even if that means sitting in my own funk! totally relaxing to me :) loved this post! seriously...i am waiting for the book!

Sheree said...

The Japanese really got it right. They put in tubs that put in new water as you are soaking.

I'd love one of those! But I love baths. Water is therapeutic.

Christi said...

oh you speaketh the truth! I dislike baths almost as much as you do....

Stephanie said...

Haha :) I love it! Not baths... mostly just you and your views on life. Can't wait for the next installment of the "I don't get it" series!

Kristen said...

I always shower AFTER a soak in the turbo powered jetted tub. It's like a hot tub that I get to scrub out after every time. Allows me to be a germaphobe and enjoy the better things in life. (Hot water and jets are better than a massage.) So if you'd like to "get it" you can try a quick spray down after you marinate in your own filth. ps - I'm not saying it's ecofriendly, but we do live in the middle of nowhere.)