Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I Believe.

Christmas. Easily my favourite time of year. This year, it looked to be a scary time of year as we looked at our situation and wondered how we would find a way to avoid seeing disappointed little faces on Christmas morning. So I decided to sell apples. I figured I could at least try something. It went well. I was satisfied that we could at least keep a little bit of magic alive with what I earned. I was (and am) exhausted, and under the weather, but it was totally worth it. I believe in hope and hard work. I believe they pay off.

But then there were still many things, written in childish letters, and wished for from sweet little lips, that we didn't have and could not provide. I assured myself that it would not matter, that all would be well. I have literally done all I could do this Christmas. But then a knock at the door... bags of gifts and two plain envelopes, and 2 faces with sly, no, merry grins that we did not recognize, only identifying themselves as Santa's helpers. Presents, some that were precisely those yet-unfulfilled wishes, and much more... we, humbled parents, sat and cried. And cried. There are times there are just no words. How did they know? How could they have known? Who could have done this? Was it one person or a group of people? Questions hung in the air, but were in the shadows of the gratitude we were feeling. Money donated toward Noah's tuition... they could not fully know- that's like breath to our son's lungs. I believe in angels. I believe in goodness for goodness' sake.

There have been cards, offering extra help. There have been friends, stretching themselves to relieve my stress. And not one bit of it has gone unnoticed or unappreciated. In fact, there has been amazement, momentary disbelief, there have been prayers of thanks, many tears... and strengthened faith. It's not even my birthday or anything. It's Jesus' birthday. I always tell my kids that we get to have presents at Christmas because Jesus loves us and shares His birthday, and His presents with us. Santa Claus is just Jesus' delivery guy, as far as they know. It turns out, Jesus sent out a few more beautiful "delivery guys" this year. I believe in the Christmas Spirit. I believe that Jesus Christ will always find ways to show us that He is still there, and that Christmas is still His day. I believe one day I will help to make somebody else's Christmas as profoundly full of His love as you Christmas angels, known and anonymous, have done for us.

7 comments:

Kat said...

Thank you for such a sweet, sweet post. It truly brings everything that the Christmas season is about into reality. You and your family are already angels. :) I'm glad that you were able to have this miracle in your lives. I hope you feel better soon. Love you and your family so much! Merry Christmas!

Stephanie said...

As a friend who's too far away, I couldn't ask for a more beautiful Christmas wish for your beautiful family. It makes me tear up just thinking about it... God bless Santa's helpers :) Love you guys!

Rebecca R. Farnsworth said...

That brought tears to my eyes! How wonderful for you! Your statement, "I believe in hope and hard work. I believe they pay off," along with the rest of your post, brought to my mind the end of 2 Ne 25:23:

"for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do."

I believe "Santa's helpers" were inspired by a higher power this year.

Hooray for Christmas! :)

Katy said...

So heartwarming. Merry Christmas, Wendy.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
chelon:) said...

beautiful wen! i am so glad that your prayers were answered. the Lord loves you and that amazing family of yours...and so do i! merry christmas sweet friend. i miss you very much.

Dave and Jana said...

I love this! I am so happy your beautiful family was able to have the Christmas you deserve!