Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy New Tuesday!

I've never been a big "New Year's" person. Sometimes I go to bed before midnight. Sometimes I don't make any resolutions. Next Tuesday is still just next Tuesday, and life doesn't change because I hang a new calendar on my wall. I guess I used to think maybe a new year brought something new with it besides a number change in the date, but really, it doesn't. The year matters in terms of births, and other historic events, but ups and downs happen, regardless of the year and what you set out to do or decided ought to occur.

For instance, at the start of 2008, I'm sure I had some things in mind that I wanted to accomplish. By mid-February, all of that had melted away, and all I wanted to do was make it through the day. By the end of March, I just wanted my kids to stay alive. By summer, I wanted somewhere to call home. Any notion I had had of doing something great with the year was entirely vapor by then. You don't know what you are going to be called on to do in any given year. 2008 was particularly rough for me, for our family. 2009 was hard and wonderful in totally different ways, just not as outwardly dramatic. I have hopes for this year, but mostly I just hope to be the person I know I can and should be through whatever is thrown my way. And it would be fine with me if what's thrown my way is solid gold bricks. You know, just for a change of pace.

2 comments:

chelon:) said...

I totally agree! I am not a person that makes resolutions...only because if I break them I become really hard on myself. I am not one of those that waits til Monday either...I figure if I want to change something, then it needs to be worked on right then. It can't have a start date of Monday or Jan. 1. That is when I find the most success!

chelon:) said...

I also think that this is going to be YOUR year Wen :) I can feel it... stay positive and stay strong. xoxo