Thursday, September 2, 2010

Little Dude #3

Duncan has his first soccer game ever, tonight. He has been wanting to play since last year when Gabriel played for his first time (we got going a little late with G).

We went to his first practice last week, and there was a lot of excitement. He got his own brand new ball, and his jersey and socks. We didn't know what colour the team would be, but of course, they're Duncan's most favourite colour, green. Things just seem to work out for that kid. And just FYI, don't ever let a team of 4 and 5 year olds decide on the team name. "And the Leprechauns sweep the play-offs!!" is not something you'll be hearing anytime soon.

Back to the practice. Duncan is the youngest one on the team, so rather than have anyone notice that he was the smallest, he did a lot of really dramatic wipe-outs, and threw out great advice to no one in particular about keeping your eye on the ball. He already thinks his coach is the bomb, and had to Skype the grandparents as soon as he got home to show them his new duds.

"The Dunk" has always been unbelievably coordinated and physical, so I'm not worried about him catching on and doing just fine, but tonight I expect to see a lot of 'mob ball', and kids picking grass and waving to their parents on the sidelines. I coached this age group one summer while I was home from college, and it was a riot. I have to admit, I signed Duncan up as much for my own entertainment as his desire to play. I'm predicting he'll be dressed in his uniform by lunch time, asking me for the 85th time what I think the post-game snacks will be...

2 comments:

JaNae said...

that is so cute! of course Duncan is going to rule the field! maybe he could come give Kail a few tips :)
Go Leprechauns!
lily's team is green too, they say " go green lizards!" at least duncan's is using some imagination. oh and when kail was on a team with green jersey's they were team 7up :P

Kristen said...

I love the name! It could have been something like Boogers you know.

Nicole is 3 and she gets to start playing this year. Oh my goodness. Soccer here is very minimal and laid back though so I'm sure she'll be just fine playing with the dandelions. I have a week to prepare myself.