Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Baby, Name Thyself.

By now, most people that know me know there's a small human growing inside me who will make his or her appearance in August. We- no, let's be honest here- I decided to not find out the sex of this baby in advance of small human's birth. I have 4 boys and one girl, and while those stats make me lean heavily in favour of this being a boy, I want to meet this person all at once. No preconceived notions about who or what they'll be. We've mostly not waited in the past, but I've got to say, waiting kind of rocks.

With the last baby, even though we knew we were having a boy, I had some trouble with settling on a name. Like 5 weeks of trouble. There had been no difficulty or delay with the four kids before that, but last time, everything felt wrong. So I am sure there are those who are skeptical that this baby will have a name before he or she is old enough to pick out his or her own moniker. Rest assured, there will be none of this back and forth wishy-washiness come August. I think we've pretty much decided on boy, even though it will possibly raise a few eyebrows, and girl is probably 90% set as well, and I am certain some will hate it.

See, the problem was, I got too much input last time, both before and after baby's arrival. Mix that in with hormones, sleeplessness, and a name that just wasn't him, and you get a giant sprinkle-covered pile of crazy. I have mentioned that I have a penchant for baby names, baby name books, websites, discussion boards and lists, which is a fun, weird hobby for me, but not as fun when I am trying to name an actual person. There are too many opinions on any name you like: too short, too long, too nickname-y, too formal, too posh, too chavvy (look it up), a dozen people in someone's neighbourhood have a dog with that name, too popular, too weird, too feminine/masculine, too dated, too made-up, too young, too old lady/man, too much teasing potential, too cutesy... it's neverending. And I have those thoughts about names, I just don't like anyone having them about my names.

I think for a moment last time around, I thought I could actually choose a name that would be universally adored. But you can't. And the difference this time is, I just don't care. I've looked up our front-runners on some favourite name websites, and am finding the more negative remarks I read, the wider I smile. Our names only have to fit our kids, not yours. I put so much thought into naming my kids, there is meaning and significance in each of their names, and this time will be no different. So we're not open to suggestions or discussion. I will answer a limited number of questions about which names it's not, but that's about it. And just to get things started, we will not be using Katniss, Dasten, Truleean or Greighcyn. And yeah, somebody else did.

nameberry.com
http://names4real.wordpress.com/
http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/births

6 comments:

JaNae said...

i vote for Kraeken - it could go masculine or feminine ;)

CBG said...

Added. Freaking brilliant name. Wahahahahaha!

Almost bedtime said...

You would not believe how many people we know whose dogs have the same name as my third born! And no she's not called Patch or Rover! Can't wait to learn what name you did choose...

CBG said...

And does it bother you at all? One of our names will most likely run up against that, among other things... :)

Elizabeth said...

The hard thing with names is that it also determines how cute, charming, hilarious and entertaining the child is.

No wait, it doesn't.

Your child could be named Poop and it would still be awesome. Hoop children just come that way.

(Please don't name your baby Poop.)

chelon:) said...

i love every single name you have chosen for each one of those amazing children you have birthed. i can't wait to hear the new name of this beautiful child who is coming to the awesomest (sp?) home in utah county.