Monday, January 11, 2010

M-y-y-y-y-y Fridge! Busted.

I can't decide if I used to have better luck choosing great long lasting high quality things to buy, or if people just make junk nowadays. Here's a list of a few of the things that don't work/are broken/need repairing in my home right now:

Fridge- leaks water mostly out of the freezer side, I regularly defrost as suggested by the THREE repair guys that have charged me a fortune to tell me that little tidbit of info. Apparently there's nothing wrong with it that their crack investigative skills could find in the 3 minutes they each spent shining flashlights onto the suspect parts of my freezer. Now the flooring underneath the fridge is buckled, and probably starting a nice layer of mold. (If you aren't familiar with my love of mold, go back to the very beginning of my blog.)

Dishwasher- makes creepy, nearly vulgar sounds as it half-way cleans my dishes. Sometimes it withholds cleaning altogether. It just takes days off. It won't turn on until it's good and ready.

Dryer- the piping at the back will not stay attached to the dryer. Duct tape, fancy attachments and swearing at it have not worked (Mormon swear words, of which my non-Mormon readers can request samples). If there is a single smidgen of lint in the lint trap, it will not dry in less than 2 cycles. It's awesome.

Garage Door Opener- it is currently only functioning as a blood pressure raiser. It opens with all buttons, but does not close with the car buttons, and only with the wall one if you stand there and hold it down. I have smashed all records for backing out, turning off the car, locking the kids in, running into the garage, holding down the *#!O~# button, shutting the house door, sprinting to the front door, locking it behind me and diving for the car as I unlock it remotely. It has been this way since August.

Van- did you notice how I said car all through that last bit? I'm still in denial about the whole van thing. And this van, I hate with a white hot passion. It works ok, I just had to get that out there. I digress...

Vacuum- I shouldn't even waste the electricity. I spend half the time vacuuming over stuff and the other half picking up the crud it leaves behind, by hand. The bags get changed regularly, the filter is clean... I'd say it sucks, but it really, really doesn't.

My Mom had the same waffle iron for 40 years. She had this one mixer that worked for ages. I used to get birthday presents that wouldn't break the first time I played with them, something my kids experience less and less often. Is it just me? Am I just a really really unwise or unlucky consumer? I want things to work, and to last. Well, except for the companies that made all this junk.

2 comments:

Adhis said...

Wow- frustrating!
Every year, on the first cold snap of the winter season, our garage door opener will only open the door one segment at a time, so we have to click-click through 5 or 6 panels. Annoying to us, also probably annoying to the neighbors who hear the clanging of the door.

David and I are both endless researchers when it comes to making purchases. It has been ridiculous how much time we have spent studying. (HOURS!) It has always worked out, but since adding to our family, we have lightened on inspection and heavier on "feelings" (read: promptings or inspiration). Time is too precious.

Best of luck with the many... "projects".

chelon:) said...

WOW is all I have to say :) I think you might have a bit of bad luck when it comes to household appliances!

It was so great to talk to you last night...you don't know how much I miss our conversations. I love you tons and continue to pray for your family. Miss you too! xoxo