Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Who Are You?

Sometimes I wholeheartedly agree with one exasperated ancestor's sentiment: "This is the stupidest world I've ever lived on.". I've been in a sort of tornado of emotion and thought lately. Between the passing of my cousin (and not being able to attend her funeral due to ongoing passport issues), a bad patch of seizures for my boy, and some waves of controversy affecting people I care about, sadness, contention, worry, and frustration have all been wildly swirling around. I could very easily lock myself away and just hope for the clouds to pass.

But that's not me.

For those who don't share my faith, we believe that we were spirits who lived with God before we came here to earth. We believe that those spirits joined with bodies when we were born, and though we don't remember that time, while here on earth, we carry with us many of the traits and relationships that we had there. It is in most cases not until we pass on to the next life that we get to really "see" everybody again. Who they are, who they are to us, each person in their spirit form, no more weighted down by illness, age, hardship, deformity, or any other earthly care.

There were kids from 80+ countries in my high school, and most of my friends had either a different skin colour from me, or an accent of some sort. It wasn't until I left there and moved to a much more, um, homogenous area that I was even struck by that fact. I saw beautiful friends, not shades of skin. I heard laughter, comfort, and lively discussion, not accents. You can spot kindness or goodness just by looking at someone's face, and not even see what they look like. You know what I'm talking about. Or think of people that have grown more beautiful to you as you've gotten to know them, when really their physical form hasn't changed a bit. I think, in part, that's recognizing that heavenly spirit that's in there.

Oftentimes I am tempted to (and do) just react to hard situations, usually poorly, loudly, or sarcastically. But I have found that if I am still, if I wait... God will speak to me, and show me a little something that will change me, and my reaction. Frequently this happens in a split second. A flash of somebody's true intent, their innate goodness, the love that others have, or even God has, for them. In other words, the truth about who they are. Not how they're acting, not what they're saying, not what they look like, but who that spirit is that was put on this earth, disguised by flesh and bones, life, and gravity.

And then things change.

I want to respond with love. I want to understand more than be understood. I want to teach or exchange thoughts, not lecture. Compassion and generosity flow.

You never know who you're really dealing with. From your children to a crabby customer service person, anyone could be the grandest, most amazing spirit you'll meet. They should be treated that way. I pray I will be blessed to see people as they really are, much more clearly and frequently, especially when things get tough.

As it said on a little poster I had as kid, "God don't make no junk".

Amen.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

So very true... and beautifully written. This was a good reminder for me today. :)
You're quite an amazing person, Wendy!

Christi said...

I often ask our Father to allow me to see with my "spiritual eyes" the things He is able to see in various people and situations. It is an on going lesson to learn to see people as they are meant to be and not the product of situations and circumstances.

CBG said...

I agree, Christi, it's definitely ongoing. For me part of that process has come out of some situations and circumstances when I've needed to be shown something in order to better learn to respond in the moment, the way the Lord would have me do. That's why I love personal revelation- it comes exactly when and in the way that will best teach or help each person. I love hearing how it works for other people too! What an amazing thing. :)

JaNae said...

I love this wendy! you are so spot on. There are definitely people in my life who are so beautiful because of who they are & not how they look. I need to remember to take a step back from situations and take a deep breath and remember that we are all children of God- even the ones driving mercedes SUVs. ;)

Kristen said...

Especially the ones driving mercedes SUVs. Haha, just kidding.

I want to add my amen. Beautifully said.