Thursday, February 18, 2010

I Don't Get It: Men's Figure Skating Wardrobes

I can appreciate athleticism, strength, grace, speed and some wicked loops and lutz's. I can sort of appreciate that there are men who want to skate/dance around on the ice in a non-hockey sort of way. I in no way begin to understand what some of those men wear.

I am assuming male figure skaters have a say in what is worn while performing on the ice, that their costumes are not being strapped or zipped onto them against their will. I don't think their coaches use the skaters' potential outfits as punishment for a few bad practices... but then the questions remains, wha-a-a?

You'd think skaters would be concerned with aerodynamics, and practicalities like not having fluffy bits blowing into their faces while they fly down the ice sideways. And you'd think at least half of these guys' mothers would just throw down a mommish "You are not leaving the house in that.". Instead, I'm seeing vinyl, spandex, tulle, lace, sequins, and polyester, in odd configurations, with ties, puffy sleeves, high layered collars, and other parts for which there are no names, but for which I'm demanding an explanation.

Hot pink bungee cords. Wide bands of black feathers. Patches of leather in the strangest of places. Shirts open to the navel over chests that are winter-in-London-white or at best, pale pink... this stuff is not winning anyone any medals. An actual costume, that goes with a theme or story that allows skate-ability without being distracting, okay. An ensemble that looks like it was decoupaged on by a pack of hyper three year-old girls, not so much.

Double axel and salchow your hearts out, boys. Maybe just grab something to wear from Target.



4 comments:

Kristen said...

So did you not like Lysacek's last night? It was a little prince-ish but very effective.

The guy in a pink vest wasn't quite so appealing, although you probably could find it at Target. =o)

I agree though, maybe they're trying to appeal to the judges, who had to wear the same freaky stuff in their day. A rite of passage.

At least you made me feel like I'm NOT a jerk for laughing when they come out.

Katey said...

Daniel and I feel the same way. I mean, seriously. I felt like I was watching "Blades of Glory".

JAnderegg said...

I'm with you! Jake constantly said to me during the performances, "Oh, another gay one." I kept telling him he couldn't prove it, but he did say their costumes did. Crazy. But the skating was great.

Kat said...

Yep, I just have to agree with everyone else's comments. I totally don't understand their costumes. I do have to say that I liked the snowboarders pants that looked like worn jeans. However, I didn't like how they pulled them down to their knees. Completely makes the point of wearing pants null and void.