Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Little More Time. Please.

I read something recently where a guy was talking about prioritizing and getting things accomplished. He said he couldn't stand it when people say there aren't enough hours in the day. He said that's a cop-out because if something matters enough to you, you'll get it done. I'm here to say, either he doesn't have kids, or he has never been the one to stay home with them.

Sleep matters to me. I have yet to get two consecutive nights of even 7 hours since the birth of my Marley 18 months ago. There have been days where I have vowed to not sit down (other than driving) and tackle my to-do list, not wasting a single minute of the day, and yet somehow the next day, the list is the same length, or even longer. I have been "working on" at least two books since last fall, yet not a word has been typed. I have not had time to get the words beyond my own head, as much as I want and need to get them going.

I do that thing where I think, "Oh, when school's out, I'll have more flexible time...", "Once school's back in, things will calm down...", "As soon as Marley is always sleeping through the night, then I'll have the time and energy to...". Yeah. No. There's always something unexpected, unplanned or unpredictable that throws things off. Those things are almost always kid-related and skew whatever plans of brilliance I had for any given day.

So, dude quoted in that article, you're wrong. There are not enough hours in the day. Not for me. And not for most moms who want to do anything beyond keeping their children alive and fairly clean.

7 comments:

Janet said...

Right on. I can't remember the last time I showered. I miss sleep. My to do list right now is to survive. :)

Your books will be amazing.

Katey said...

Amen sister!

Adhis said...

I'm gonna be the voice of dissent and agree with the dude.

I truly believe that the reason most of us don't get done what is most important is because of distraction. I, personally, get easily distracted by social media: Facebook, online forums, blogs.(ahem.) Other people get distracted by wanting to serve and please everyone around them and then find that they have no energy left to exercise or properly feed their own body. There are a bazillion distractions on this earth to cater to the billions of people on it.

At the last General Conference, Julie Beck said, "A good woman knows that she does not have enough time, energy, or opportunity to take care of all of the people or do all of the worthy things her heart yearns to do. ... But with personal revelation, she can prioritize correctly and navigate this life confidently."

I often fall into the enticing tendrils of my internet connection, so I'm not judging other women. Just sayin'... I agree with the dude.

CBG said...

My computer and media fast days are no different. And I have to be rested, coherent and still for revelation to come and to be reliable. That's a combination that's hard to come by around here.

Yesterday, for instance. Had big plans, ok, had reasonable plans, Noah ended up having a few large seizures, puking all over one room, then later puking all over me as we were entering his (new) Dr's office. Every other thing that was important, and needed to be done, didn't get done. My days go that way a lot more often than I expect, and a few more hours tacked on there at the end of the day would have allowed me to get to some other things and people that needed my attention. Nothing frivolous.

It's not so straight forward, and you don't always get to do the prioritizing. Sometimes your priorities get barfed all over you. ;)

Kristen said...

So far I agree with Dude, Wendy, AND Adhis. How is this possible? I don't know. =o)

So instead of sorting through all that, I would just say that there are enough hours in the day to do what we NEED to do but not enough in ten lifetimes to do everything we WANT to do. And I think that we NEED some of the WANTS in order to make life bearable and rewarding, and maybe that's what puts us over the edge, timewise. Moral of the story? I don't know. But I'd rather be me or Wendy or Adhis than Mr.Dude who only sticks to the basics.

(By the way Wendy, all expectations go out the window when puke is involved.)

Adhis said...

What Kristen said.

There is a time and season for everything. A time to be clean, a time to be puked on. I'm pretty sure that was mentioned in the song, too.

Kat said...

Amen and Amen Wendy! :)