Monday, January 9, 2012

Kickin' It With the Stay-At-Homies

I have rules. There are limits. These kids have regular bedtimes and mealtimes, are not allowed much sugary or processed food, and have limits on their screens. I realize I can't protect them from everything as a parent, but the things I can control, for their safety and well-being, I do. So much so that I was once called 'anal' by my mother-in-law, and I took it as the highest compliment. (That one came because I wouldn't allow my kids to ride around in her truck, through a small town, on snow covered roads without any car seats or boosters).

We have almost as many channels blocked on the tv as we have available. These kids have never seen MTV or VH1 or any such thing. They know the channels that are the ok kid channels, and they stick to them.

So you'll excuse my mouth dropping open, quickly followed by near-painful laughter upon hearing the following:

Grey was laying on my bed, fussing, while I was in the bathroom attempting to get ready for the day. Duncan comes running in and announces,

"I'll take care of him, Mum!"

Duncan makes faces, does voices and hands over toy after toy.

Graham still fusses.

"Grey, it's ok!"

Grey fusses louder.

"Dude! I'm RIGHT HERE."

Grey starts to cry.

"Grey! I'm HERE for you, YO?!"

Graham wails.

Defeated: "Duuude."


My 5-year-old. He both entertains and terrifies me. Word.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Hehe. Love this. It's hard being this way while living in a small town. When we give rides for scouts etc I make all the boys use seatbelts. They look at me like it's a foreign torture device. Apparently the law doesn't matter, let alone our kids' lives. Word.

chelon:) said...

haha! that is so cute. i love that sweet boy. you are an amazing "anal" mother ;) xo

Janelle Ehat said...

This totally made my night! I knew I loved that boy! Lol!