Friday, December 23, 2011

Temporary Lunatic

I lost it. I don't like to yell or scream at my kids, but I did this morning. In fact, I am still in tears about it as I write. It's a good thing I'm a lousy typist, because two of my fingers are throbbing with so much pain, I wouldn't be using them now even if I could type properly. I got quite the beat down from Noah this morning. I was screamed at, kicked, hit, grabbed, scratched to bleeding, and this kid is no lightweight. What was my offense, you might ask? I was trying to get the boy dressed.

I don't say too much about what day to day life can really be like with a kid with autism and a seizure disorder. Partly, that's because I figure, who wants to hear it, and partly, there's no real point to it since very few understand, and no one can do a thing about it. There have always been challenges, but many of those grow as he does. He is getting big. I am not a big Mum. He is still in diapers at 8. Sometimes he does NOT want to be changed. It has to be done.

I have what I think is an extreme fight or flight response. Mostly I don't choose flight. I've been that way my whole life. If I felt under attack, or that someone I love was under attack, I would instantly turn to fight. Sometimes verbally, occasionally physically, but even when I was clearly going to be way outmatched, I would act first, think later. Thankfully a couple of times I had a good friend talk sense in to me, or in one case, a very wise male friend who picked me up and carried me out of a room during college, when some foot-taller-than-me guy was lying about my sister. My response is good in the appropriate situations, but not so much in others.

It is instant, if you are ever physically attacked or hurt by someone you just want to defend yourself and fight back. It's instinctive. But when it is your child, who is nearly as big as you are, that is kicking you in the ribs, or head butting you in the head or face, taking large chunks of skin off of your hand, you can't react that way. I do have to block him, and defend myself like that, sometimes I have to sit on his legs or something when he is just wild, but all that adrenaline and stress has to go somewhere, so I yell and/or cry. It's not pretty. It's not helpful. It feels like the world is ending in those moments. But it's better than going a few rounds with my son.

I have recently started exercising regularly again after a year+ hiatus, and honestly a portion of the reason for it is so that I can get stronger to better handle Noah as he grows and not get beaten to a pulp. Any parent of a child with autism will tell you that when they are melting, they get freakishly strong, it's as though they turn super human for a little while. You have to be able to hold them off, or physically remove them from situations where necessary. It is weird to even have to think about that with my nearly 9 year old boy. But it is reality for me.

So if I'm out and about all banged up looking like I've taken up cage fighting, or wearing helmets or padding at seemingly inappropriate times, or completely lose it when you ask me how I'm doing, just smile at me and know the lunacy is temporary. I will return to a relatively normal human being capable of rational thought and good conversation again soon. Just please, today, don't mess with me. Or risk having your own fight or flight response tested.

7 comments:

Almost bedtime said...

Hi Wendy! It's so strange how the blogosphere works as I feel like I know a little about you even though I've never met you but after reading your post today I realise that I know nothing about you or your life at all. This post was written so beautifully and eloquently even though you felt so distressed about your situation. I had no idea that you had so much on your plate. I hope writing about how you are feeling helped. You are an amazing woman!

Kristen said...

I'm crying for you. Does that help? No, probably not. But I'm crying for you anyway.

Confession. Sometimes when moms tell stories of struggles with their special needs kids, my first thought is, "At least you still have your kid. I lost mine." But oh my gosh, within a split second the sympathy kicks in. There's no "at least." Of course you are grateful for him. But it must be SO hard. You are an angel for being able to do what you do. Your fight response could be seen as a weakness but I think it's a strength, and you have it for a reason. You are meant to be his mom and God gave you what you need. You rock.

Keep fighting. Keep sharing. You'll be misunderstood by many,but not all. But you don't need this pep talk. You're already there. Love you! Merry Christmas!

Adhis said...

I seem to be in good company!

I have on occasion 'lost it' when dealing with my 3yo. I get so frustrated when I do not know what language she is using during one of her out-of-control meltdowns. And I do not always sigh quietly when dealing with yet another really messy diaper as I wonder at what age, if any, her brain will get the toilet thing.

At this stage, we don't really know the full extent of LilDhis' situation, but I can understand the compassion in not judging a mom when she loses it. I also know Heavenly Father loves when we care enough to improve that we come to Him for strength and help.

CBG said...

Almost Bedtime, thank-you for your kind words. I do feel like you are a new friend of mine, even if we are still learning things about one another. I'm so glad that I found you and your blog!
Kristen, it is sometimes nice to not be the only one crying. What you said means more than you know.
Adhis, I think maybe that's why sometimes it helps to bring this stuff up- so those in a similar boat feel a little less alone.

Kat said...

Wendy, I am so sorry to hear about your day. I completely understand about "those moments". You aren't suppose to be able to keep it all together all the time. There are frustrating times. But just know that they are just that, moments. Heavenly Father has trusted you so much with one of His special children and He understands that it's not going to be easy. I love your blog and how you are so good with your words. You are such a good person, and I am so blessed to call you my friend. I hope that tomorrow is a better day for you. (hugs)

Katy said...

Oh, Wendy, you're amazing. I lose it with my kids for far less than the difficulties and challenges you face on a regular basis. I really don't think people who are not in your situation can fully comprehend what your life is like, but I appreciate you allowing us the occasional glimpse into your personal struggles and triumphs.

Stephanie said...

I love you. Lots.