Monday, December 12, 2011

I Know Merry Christmas and I'm Not Afraid to Use It

Every time I hear "Happy holidays" or "holiday shopping" or "holiday sale" I cringe a little. In fact I'm out and out bugged. I find myself asking aloud, no matter the circumstance, "Which holiday is that?" And 99% of the time, the correct answer is Christmas.

In Canada, the word 'holiday' is used interchangeably with the word 'vacation' (and I believe in the UK, the word holiday is used over the word vacation, but any of my Brit friends can correct me there if I'm wrong). It also means any official day off of anything.

Just wish me a Merry Christmas. Heck, wish me a Happy Hanukkah, I'd cheerfully say that right back to whomever offered it. Do not wish me Happy Holidays. I'm not on holiday, I'm not going on holiday, but I am very busy getting ready for Christmas.

I am a Christian. I believe in Jesus Christ. I happily celebrate His birth this and every Christmas season. Some people don't. That's just fine. But not believing in Christmas' true meaning doesn't make it any less what it is, any more than not knowing or liking me makes my birthday not my birthday.

What is everyone so worried about? Who is getting so offended by hearing the word Christmas? No one is forcing anyone to take part in any of it if that's not what they choose. I have had people say all kinds of things to me that have nothing to do with who I am or what I believe, but if the intent is kind and well meaning, I will never take offense. I was once wished a Happy Mother's Day when I was not yet a mother, and in fact was having a difficult time trying to become one, but I smiled, and said the same thing back. It was somebody trying to be kind, I could never have grumbled at that sweet lady for what she said.

So if there is any confusion left, I give you a tutorial in pictures.

Holiday tree


Christmas tree


Holiday lights









Christmas lights

Hanukkah 'lights'











Holiday card





Christmas cards











If you were hoping for some warmer, gushier Christmasy post, try one of these: http://hoopdeedoop.blogspot.com/2009/12/i-believe.html
http://hoopdeedoop.blogspot.com/2010/08/wonderfully-wrong.html

7 comments:

Kristen said...

I never thought about the vacation angle. Love it!

Adhis said...

Happy Hanukkah!

CBG said...

Happy Hanukkah to you, Adhis! One of my best elementary school friends had a Jewish dad and an Anglican mom, so she got to celebrate both. Girl was opening presents for pretty much the entire month. Now I think, her poor parents. :)

Englishfam said...

What if I said, I'm going on holiday for the holidays. Would that work? I am going to the UK so it kindof works. Haha Also, I have been meaning to ask you, what is the status of the baby's name? Did you change it back to Graham? So curious. Maybe you need to do another blog post about it. :)

Jackie said...

Happy Kwanza!

Almost bedtime said...

Love it Wendy! I have trouble with the use of Happy Holidays every year too! Merry Christmas!

April said...

I don't "believe" in Halloween but I still get my kids dressed up, take sugar to school, buy more sugar and pass it out because I know that my kids along with most others love it. I also just smile when anyone would say Happy Halloween. I do wonder if those who don't "believe" in Christmas give gifts and accept gifts this time of year. If you do, I think you too should just smile when they come across someone who believes in Christmas.