Monday, June 30, 2008

Oh, Canada!

Big week for my family.  It's my big brother's birthday (Happy Birthday, Craig!) today, tomorrow is Canada Day (our day for fireworks and the like), and then it's the 4th of July.  
    Mine will be the red Toyota Sienna with the Canadian flags on the windows all week (thanks Mom!).  I know I live in the U.S.A, and have met some of the best people I know here, but I am Canadian, and I really love Canada.  I miss a lot about it.  I miss being able to say Canadian/British words without anyone looking at me like I'm speaking Chinese.  I miss watching hockey without anyone saying "How can you even see the puck??".  I miss Nanaimo Bars.  I miss the smell of ice rinks.  I miss everyone around me using "eh" in the appropriate way.  I miss the more sing-song-y way that most Canadians speak.  I miss good, and I mean GOOD chocolate bars (if they're made of chocolate in Canada, they're chocolate bars, they have to be made of candy to be called candy bars).  I miss touques ("touque" rhymes with "duke").  I miss being able to say I'm from Ontario, and not having anyone assume I mean Ontario California.  Most of all, it's family and friends I miss.  My parents, my sister and her kids, my younger brother, all three of my living grandparents, some cousins, aunts and uncles are all still there.  Canada is beautiful.  If you've been to one province or city, you've gotten a glimpse, but you haven't "seen Canada".  So Happy Canada Day tomorrow.  It's this really great, beautiful country to your north that you really should visit if you ever get the chance.
    Let me add, I have to thank all of my south of the border friends for helping me see the very best parts of the U.S.A... that's all of you.
     A lesson on the proper use of "eh" will be forthcoming.  Try to contain yourselves until then.

13 comments:

Adhis said...

We have Canada here in the States, too. It's called Minnesota.

Christa J. said...

Eh, Wendy, I'm coming to visit soon!

Stephanie said...

Wow-- just reading this made me want to celebrate Canada Day too! Can't wait for the lesson on "eh"... I've always wondered about that. ;)

chelon:) said...

oh canada??? what about oh usa??? just kidding! i love my canadian friend sooooo very much! you are the bestest in the world. i would love for you to come and visit me!! i love you and miss you and please let's talk soon. xoxo

Kristen said...

Just found you, I hope you remember me and don't mind.

Eh? The grammar-loving side of me was immediately curious. Can't wait to hear the proper uses!

It would be hard to be so far from family. Do Canadians celebrate with fireworks?

JaNae said...

oh you canadians,eh? I know all aboot you. hocky lovin, maple leaf wearin, french speakin, northerners & some of the nicest, sincerest, most giving people I've ever met.

Jamie said...

I called you on Canada Day, (it on my calendar)did you get the message? Anyway, hope all is well, love you!

bananaberry128 said...

I am not canadian, but my parent lived in washington and where close to the border some years back. I love the carpet of trees and riding the ferry. Great food too!

Um, are you super rich? All the things you recommend are pricey. I found some of the things on ebay though. You have great taste in everything so I am still working on it.
Let me know when you need more jewels for your auction.
I hope your craziness is stettling down about your house and moving etc. I hope the best for your life and happiness. luv u miss u-shan

Christi said...

Great blog, eh? I look forward to the lesson on "eh" as well, I need to brush up my skills.

CBG said...

Shanna-
No, sooo not super rich! I have had a lot of luck on ebay too, except for my first sling, which I wanted to buy somewhere I could exchange it since I wasn't sure of the size. I am a big online price hunter, and sometimes just luck out on sales. I promise, of the things on the list that I own, they are worth making the effort. And yes, I'll be calling you about the auction soon! :)

Adhis said...

My baby's not digging her sling. (It's not a Hotsling, it's from Mamma's Milk.) I wonder if I waited too long to put her in it (nearly 2 months). I was just too tired in the beginning to even remember I had it.

Considering how much I paid for it, I still put her in it a few minutes each day. Maybe she'll get used to it? Maybe? Any tips?

Unknown said...

Hey there - hope life is settling down. :) I just wanted you to know I've tagged you for a memeover on my blog. I'd love to see your answers!

Rebecca R. Farnsworth said...

Yes...I'm a little late on the uptake, but I would definitely like to learn the proper use for the word "eh" since I use it all the time, but possibly not properly...