Monday, April 11, 2011

My Answer

Lest there be any confusion or question on anyone else's part, let me clear something up.
No.
That is my answer to the question "Did having Noah have autism make you not want to have any more kids?".

As though my whole intent and purpose in life was to give birth only to typical, normally developing kids that the world would embrace and adore. As though I see Noah as some sort of punishment or unfair burden hoisted upon me. As though I'm arrogant enough to tell God how it's going to be.

No. Having Noah definitely made me ask questions I might not have otherwise asked, made me consider more seriously what we as a family could manage, made me amazed at the trust and faith God has in me as a mom...

But how many kids this family welcomes, who is meant to be here, those are not arbitrary decisions or numbers, based on my fear or ideal or stress or desire or feelings of total uselessness (at times). That's for God to know, and us to find out.

I'm not offended by the question. Well in the spirit of full disclosure, I was for a while. But me being offended doesn't help anyone. Everyone, including Noah, needs to know that he is a gift. At times a very challenging, scary, overwhelming gift, but he has purpose. My kids are learning things from growing up with him that some people take a lifetime to learn. They need him. He needs them. To think that I could have taken that away from all of them by giving in to my initial sadness and fear over Noah's "special" path...

No. No. A million times, no.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Thank you. I needed this today. No, no, no, is my answer too. Losing our little boy to something that is likely genetic made me love my little ones even more. It could happen again. But he was not an accident. And I will not cut off my future blessings in order to avoid what the world sees as a tragedy. He was a gift. Noah is a gift. A clever, cute, life-changing gift! While "normal" always sounds like a good goal for future babies, I trust that God knows what we need. I NEED this little boy-on-the-way, whatever his part will be in my life. You get it. And oh how I needed to hear that today. I'm not alone.

Oh wait, this wasn't about me. =o) I'm very happy for your confidence and peace as a mother. Faith feels so much better than fear.

Adhis said...

I hope you are collecting Noah's quotes so you can later publish a book entitled "Autism is Funny: Stories About Autism to Make You Laugh When You Feel Like Crying".